Ramat HaNadiv (Hebrew: רמת הנדיב, Heights of the Benefactor,
also known as Umm el-'Aleq ["Mother of leeches"] in Arabic)
is a nature park and gardens in northern Israel, covering
4.5 kilometers at the southern end of Mount Carmel between
Zichron Ya'akov to the north and Binyamina to the south.
The Jewish National Fund planted pine and cypress groves in
most of the area.
Umm el-'Aleq was a small Palestinian Arab village where in
the nineteenth century a farmstead (Beit Khouri) was
constructed by the Palestinian Arab Christian family of el-
Khouri from Haifa. The Baron Edmond James de Rothschild
purchased the land from the el-Khouri family. The Third
Aliyah settlers changed the name of the region to Ummlaleq
("the miserable one"). The third aliyah settlers lasted only
3 months. The malarial mosquitoes proved to be an impediment
to settlement within the region.
Baron Rothschild died in 1934 at Château Rothschild,
Boulogne-Billancourt. His wife Adelaide died a year later on
December 29, 1935. They were interred in the Père Lachaise
Cemetery in Paris until April 1954 when their remains were
transported to Israel aboard a naval frigate. At the port of
Haifa, the ship was met with sirens and a nineteen-gun
salute. A state funeral was held with former Prime Minister
David Ben-Gurion giving the eulogy following which Edmond de
Rothschild and his wife were re-interred in the Memorial
Gardens of Ramat HaNadiv. For his Jewish philanthropy Baron
Edmond became known as "HaNadiv HaYadu'a" (Hebrew for "The
Known Benefactor" or "The Famous Benefactor") and in his
memory his son bequeathed the funds to construct the
building for the Knesset...