al-Qubayba (also: Qubeiba, Arabic: القبيبة) was a
Palestinian village, located 24 kilometers northwest of
Known in Crusader times as Deirelcobebe, the ruins of the
ancient Canaanite city of Lachish lay adjacent to the
village, which was subject to extensive archaeological
excavations by the British Mandatory authorities in
Palestine, and by Israeli authorities subsequent to its
capture during the 1948 Arab-Israeli war.
In 1596 Al-Qubayba was a village in the Ottoman Empire,
nahiya (subdistrict) of Gaza under the liwa' (district) of
Gaza, with a population of 182. It paid taxes on wheat,
barley, sesame, and fruit trees, as well as goats and
In the late 19th century, Al-Qubayba was described as a
large village built of adobe brick, situated on rolling
hills near a plain, surrounded by a barren and stony area.
The population was Muslim, and the village had a school, a
mosque, and a number of small shops. Two wells located
northwest and southwest of it provided drinking water. By
1944/45 11,912 dunums of land belonged to the village, of
which 8,109 dunums were allotted to cereals...