The New Gate (Arabic: باب الجديد Bab al-Jedid; Hebrew: השער
החדש HaSha'ar HeChadash) is the newest gate in Jerusalem's Old
City Walls, built in 1898 to provide direct access to the
Christian Quarter for the visit of the German Emperor William
It is also called the Gate of Hammid after the Ottoman Sultan
Abdul Hamid II. The gate is located in the northwestern part
of the wall and faces north.
During the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, when Jordan captured East
Jerusalem (which includes the Old City of Jerusalem) it was
sealed off. It was reopened again in 1967 after Israel's
capture of East Jerusalem during the Six-Day War.