Stone relief showing a charioteer
Achaemenid Persian, 5th century BC. From Persepolis, south-west Iran. This relief of a charioteer driving his horse comes from the great Achaemenid Persian centre of Persepolis. It was excavated in July 1811 by Robert Gordon who was part of a diplomatic mission to Iran led by Sir Gore Ouseley, British Ambassador to Persia from 1811 to 1814. It originally decorated a staircase on the east wing of the north side of the Apadana or audience hall. This structure, with an adjoining series of private palaces and their ancillary buildings, was built on the western side of a large artificial terrace on the edge of the Marv Dasht plain. To the east lay the many-columned Treasury with adjacent storerooms, offices and barracks. The Apadana reliefs show delegations from many parts of the Persian Empire bringing tribute and gifts.