Jesus was the Prophet Like Moses
Jn 6:14 Then those men, when they had seen the sign that Jesus did, said, "This is truly the Prophet who is to come into the world."
- This Messianic prophecy is recognized in both Judaism and Christianity as a clear reference to the Messiah.
- In this prophecy is one of the most specific predictions of Christ mentioned in the Old Testament.
- Jesus understood this passage two referred to Himself (John 5:46).
- Peter preached at Pentecost that this referred to Jesus (Acts 3:22).
- This Verse is important because it clearly states that Judaism would not be the system by which the nation of Israel would bless all nations.
- A "Prophet like me" refers to someone like Moses, who would hear from the Lord and perform mighty miracles like the Prophet Moses. Jesus would lead His people out of slavery.
- Num 12:6-8 "Hear now My words: If there is a prophet among you, I, the LORD, make Myself known to him in a vision; I speak to him in a dream. Not so with My servant Moses; He is faithful in all My house. I speak with him face to face."
- "from your brethren" speaks of the Messiah being a Jew.
- "Him you shall hear" refers to the fact that the Jews were to hear and obey the voice of the Messiah. The word "hear" is reminiscent of the Hebrew "Shema" – Hear O Israel.
- Whenever Jesus mentioned that He heard the voice of His Father, He was hinting back at this verse I "will put My words in His mouth". The Messiah will be the Word of God. Every word He speaks will be God's word.
- The Lord also pronounces judgment upon anyone who will not obey the word to the Messiah, by saying "I will require it of him" which means he will bear the judgment. God will treat any Jewish brother like an unbeliever if he does obey the Messiah's words.