Jesus was Beaten and Humiliated
Matt 26:67 Then they spat in His face and beat Him; and others struck Him with the palms of their hands,
Matt 27:30-31 Then they spat on Him, and took the reed and struck Him on the head. And when they had mocked Him, they took the robe off Him, put His own clothes on Him, and led Him away to be crucified.
- The words "I gave my back" speaks of a willing submission.
- The word "plucked" speaks of making one bald or hairless.
- To pluck a single hair of one’s hair or beard was the highest insult and the greatest indignity in the ancient oriental world.
- The beard was grown and groomed with utmost care.
- It was customary to swear by the beard if it was a strong oath.
- To spit on someone was a shameful thing and among the highest of insults. (see Deut 25:9)
- To spit in the presence of a king was an act of indecency and an offence.
- They not only spat but they spat in His face.