Jesus Ministered in the Region of Galilee
Matt 4:13 And leaving Nazareth, He came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is by the sea, in the regions of Zebulun and Naphtali,
- Zebulun and Naphtali (The northern Galilee region) were the first to fall before the Assyrians (II Kings 15:29) as Isaiah had predicted, but Isaiah also predicted in this section that the same region (Galilee) would reap the wonderful privilege of providing mankind with a Savior.
- Jesus grew up in Nazareth in Galilee and ministered in the Galilee region.
- The word "nevertheless" speaks of God working a wonder regardless of what He said would happen in the previous chapters.
- The word "gloom" is a good word that reveals the sad condition of the Jewish leaders who rejected their Messiah, and in contrast the great light that would shine in the land that they so despised, the Galilee region.
- Gloom speaks of a night without morning.
- The "sea" speaks of the Sea of Galilee
- (Note: The Zohar was not the first to teach that the Messiah would appear in Galilee, and that redemption would break forth from Tiberias; but this is found in the Talmud and Midrash, from Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament).
- The Lord offered His salvation first to the people in the Galilee region.
- The "Shadow of Death" can be seen from the north side of the Sea of Galilee near Capernaum. There is always a shadow on the mountain when viewed from any direction. In the history of the persecutions of Israel many families were hurled from the cliffs there.
Read More about Jesus Ministered in the Region of Galilee