Jesus Conquered Death
Heb 2:14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil.
Jn 19:30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.
1 Cor 15:55-57 "O Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory?" The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- The Messiah will rise triumphantly from the dead and the power of death is broken forever.
- Yahweh partook of a human body and died that He might reign victorious.
- "Swallow up death" means to devour it completely and overcome it.
- Death can be looked upon as a conquered enemy.
- Messiah will wipe away all tears, every sorrow and enemy of joy.
- The words "it is finished" was a military victory cry, when the battle was won and the last traces of the enemy were being defeated they would utter the cry "it is finished."
- The devil had the power of death because it was given to him by Adam (Luke 4).
- When Satan killed Jesus he murdered an innocent man because Jesus never sinned.
- When death slew Jesus it slit its own throat.
- Hades is the place of death and not the final hell. All unbelievers are in Hades waiting for the great white throne judgment. There is no second chance and there is no such thing as Purgatory.
- Old Testament saints who were faithing in the coming Messiah, and had trusted in the covenant that the Lord had established with Abraham, were released from death at the resurrection and ascension of Christ.
- The gentile world who knew the Jewish God as El Elyon (Most High God) were also in death awaiting resurrection.
- At the rapture all believers of every age will receive their resurrected bodies of glory.
- All persecution and reproach for the cause of Christ, God will do away with.