The Living One. Exodus 3:14-15 "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM
: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD
God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."
YHVH (Jehovah) was the name of the God of Israel. Translated LORD in the English Bible, the Hebrew name contained only four letters YHVH. Since no vowels have passed down to us in history we do not know how the four letters were pronounced. The name was spoken by the high priest once per year on Yom Kippur, the Great Day of Atonement.
Genesis 4:26 "Then men began to call on the name of the LORD."
- Jehovah is the Hebrew word Yahweh which comes from the root "hayah" which means to be, to exist, or have life.
- Isaiah 43:10-11 There was no god before Yahweh or after Yahweh.
- Psalm 102:27 Yahweh's years had no beginning and will have no end.
- Yahweh is the name of the living Elohim
- To know the name Yahweh was a special revelation, impossible to know if He was not revealed, Exodus 6:2-3. Yahweh is the God of revelation.
- Every nation had gods (elohim) but Yahweh was the God of Israel and the only living God. Psalm 86:11 David says that Yahweh alone is Elohim. Also in 2 Chronicles 14:11 Israel cried out to "Yahweh our Elohim."
- Exodus 3:15 Yahweh is his name forever.