Elkanah in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE
el-ka'-na ('elqanah, "God has possessed"):
(1) An Ephraimite, the father of Samuel (1 Sam 1:1-28; 2:11-
20). Of his two wives, Hannah, the childless, was best
beloved. At Shiloh she received through Eli the promise of a
son. Elkanah, with Hannah, took the young Samuel to Shiloh
when he was weaned, and left him with EIi as their offering
to Yahweh. They were blessed with three other sons and two
(2) The second son of Korah (Ex 6:24), who escaped the fate
of Korah, Dathan and Abiram (Nu 26:11).
(3) One "next to the king" in Jerusalem in the time of Ahaz;
slain by one Zichri of Ephraim in war with Pekah (2 Ch
(4) One of the Korahites among David's "mighty men" (1 Ch
(5) A Levite, possibly the same as (2) above (1 Ch
(6) Another Levite of the same line (1 Ch 6:26,35).
(7) Another Levite, ancestor of Berechiah (1 Ch 9:16).
(8) Another Levite (if not the same as (4) above), one of
the "doorkeepers for the ark" (1 Ch 15:23).
F. K. Farr
Read More about Elkanah in the Bible Encyclopedia - ISBE