The Highest One. Genesis 14:19 "Blessed be Abram of God Most High
, Possessor of heaven and earth"
- Reveals God's relationship with those who are not Abram's seed.
- God is the highest of those created in His image. Gen 1:26 says he created man after his own likeness, "Likeness" means exact duplication in kind"
- Balaam (gentile) referred to God as El Elyon, When Moses spoke of God's sovereignty over the nations he referred to God as El Elyon. The Book of Daniel was written in Babylon and mentions God throughout as El Elyon.
- Other mentions of higher are:
Deuteronomy 26:19 Nation high above all nations,
Psalm 89:27 King higher than other kings,
Ezekiel 41:7 Chamber higher than other chambers
- A different word is used when it says that the heavens are higher than the earth (Isaiah 55:9), and the clouds are higher than a man (Job 35:5).
Read More about El Elyon