Dung Gate in Wikipedia
The Dung Gate (also known as Sha'ar Ha'ashpot, Gate of
Silwan, Mograbi Gate, Arabic: باب المغاربة) is one of the
gates in the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem.
The gate is situated near the southeast corner of the old
city, southwest of the Temple Mount.
The gate is the closest to the Western Wall and is a main
passage for vehicles. It was originally much smaller, but
was enlarged in 1952, after the Old City came under
Jordanian control in 1948. After its capture by Israel in
1967, architect Shlomo Aronson was commissioned to renovate
this gate. Directly behind the gate lies the entrance to
the Western Wall compound. At night, Egged city buses pass
through the gate to the Western Wall bus stop, which lies
just behind the gate; during the day, the buses stop on the
road outside the gate, because the increased number of buses
had cluttered up the bus stop inside the Old City walls.
The name Sha'ar Ha'ashpot appears in the Book of
Nehemiah:3:13-14. It is probably named after the residue
that was taken from the Jewish Temple into the Valley of
Hinnom, where it was burned. This ancient "Dung Gate" may
not have been in the same location as the modern gate.
The name Mograbi gate (Bab al-Magharibeh) refers to the
Moroccan Quarter or (Mughrabi quarter) now destructed, which
was situated near the area.
Read More about Dung Gate in Wikipedia