Azariah in Fausset's Bible Dictionary
("whom Jehovah helps".) (See UZZIAH), like in sense to
Eleazar = whom God (El) helps, and to LAZARUS.
1. 1 Chronicles 2:8.
2. Son of Ahimaaz (1 Chronicles 6:9), succeeded Zadok his
grandfather in the high priesthood in Solomon's reign,
Ahimaaz having died before Zadok (1 Chronicles 6:10, the
"he" refers to the Azariah in 1 Chronicles 6:9). He
officiated at the consecration of Solomon's temple, and was
the first high priest that ministered in it.
3. Isaiah's contemporary, who with fourscore priests
withstood so faithfully king Uzziah when burning in. tense
(2 Chronicles 26:17-20).
4. Grandson of the Azariah 2, high priest under Abijah and
Asa, as Amariah his son was in the days of Jehoshaphat son
5. Azariah, son of Oded, also called simply Oded, a prophet
along with Hanani; encouraged Asa in his religious
reformation (2 Chronicles 15:1-8).
6. Chief priest of the house of Zadok, in Hezekiah's reign,
who appointed chambers in the house of the Lord for storing
the tithes and offerings, on which were dependent the
attendance of the priests at the temple services (Nehemiah
10:35-39; Nehemiah 12:27-80; Nehemiah 12:44-47; 2 Chronicles
7. 1 Chronicles 6:13; Ezra 7:1; 2 Kings 25:18.
8. Hebrew name of (See ABEDNEGO (Daniel 1:6-19; Daniel 1:3);
of the seed royal of Judah; fulfilling the prophecy to
Hezekiah (Isaiah 39:5-7); famed for beauty, wisdom, above
all faithfulness unto death, and for his miraculous
deliverance from the furnace.
9. 2 Chronicles 21:2.
10. Several others: 1 Chronicles 6:36 = Ezra, 1 Chronicles
9:11; Nehemiah 3:23-24; Nehemiah 8:7; 2 Chronicles 29:12; 2
Chronicles 28:12; compare Jeremiah 43:2; Nehemiah 12:32-33;
1 Chronicles 2:38-39; Azariah whose name proves that the
genealogy in 1 Chronicles 2:36-41 was made in Hezekiah's
reign, for Azariah (1 Chronicles 2:38) appears from 2
Chronicles 23:1; 2 Chronicles 24:1, to have been captain
when Joash was seven years old, i.e. about one generation
elder than Joash. After Azariah in that genealogy are six
generations, ending with Elishama; and from Joash to
Hezekiah also six; therefore Elishama was contemporary with
Hezekiah. Zabad in 1 Chronicles 2:36-37 (compare 1
Chronicles 11:41) was contemporary of David.
11. Uzziah, meaning much the same, the might of Jehovah (2
Read More about Azariah in Fausset's Bible Dictionary