Abijah in Smiths Bible Dictionary
(my father is Jehovah).
1. Son and successor of Rehoboam on the throne of
Judah. 1Ki 4:21; 2Ch 12:16 He is called ABIJAH in Chronicles,
ABIJAM in Kings. He began to reign B.C. 959, and reigned three
years. He endeavored to recover the kingdom of the Ten Tribes,
and made war on Jeroboam. He was successful in battle, and
took several of the cities of Israel. We are told that he
walked in all the sins of Rehoboam.
2. The second son of Samuel, called ABIAH in our
version. [ABIA, ABIAH, No. 3]
3. Son of Jeroboam I., king of Israel; died in his
childhood. 1Ki 14:1 ...
4. A descendant of Eleazar, who gave his name to the
eighth of the 24 courses into which the priests were divided
by David. 1Ch 24:10; 2Ch 8:14; Ne 12:4,17
5. One of the priests who entered into a covenant with
Nehemiah to walk in God's law, Ne 10:7 unless the name is
rather that of a family, and the same with the preceding.